What is Kinesio Tape?
- Kinesio Tape is an elastic adhesive tape which can be worn for up to 5 days after application.
Key Features are:-
- Latex Free
- Water Resistant
- Doesn't restrict range of movement
- Tension on the tape enables relaxation or stiumation of muscles
How Does Kinesio Tape Work?
- It can alleviate discomfort by lifting the skin (decompression). This lifting effect enables an increase in space around the muscles/soft tissue and nerves which can help reduce pain and inflammation. The tape decreases pressure in the area while enabling an effective blood flow around the taped area. An assessment by your therapist will determine how the tape is applied and what additional treatments may be required.
- The direction as well as the amount of stretch applied to the tape or the muscle are all key to the individual treatment.
- Kinesio Tape can be applied in a number of ways and the way it is applied has the ability to re-educate the neuromuscular system due it's sensory effect and it can reduce inflammation and promote improved circulation and healing.
CASE STUDY - Plantar Fasciitis
The Objective of K-Taping for Plantar Fasciitis
- The main aim of this taping is to take pressure of the Plantar Fascia to relieve inflammation and pain and enable better movement.
- The tape can also be applied over the achilles and up the calf to reduce tension which can often be a factor in Plantar Fascia pain.
- It is important to get professional advice before taping to ensure that this is the right approach. Taping can often be used in combination with Soft Tissue Techniques to provide a better outcome for recovery.
- Alongside taping and soft tissue treatment your therapist should be able to advise on rehabilitation exercises to enable a faster recovery.
Plantar Faciitis Taping